This hearty soup is very good for vitality, strengthening blood and calming emotions - great for chilly weather.
1 carrot cut in matchsticks
1 burdock cut in matchsticks
1/2 cup winter squash cut into chunks
1 onion diced
1/2 cup cabbage sliced
4-6 cups water
1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon wakame flakes
1 heaping teaspoon barley rice miso
1 heaping teaspoon white miso
- Place the oil in a pan and heat. Add the burdock and saut'e for a few minutes. Add the carrot and continue to saut'e. Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on a low flame for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the winter squash, cabbage and onion and continue to cook until the vegetables become soft - 20 minutes or so.
- Add the rest of the water and wakame.
- Return to a boil and add the diluted misos.
- Cook on a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with a little ginger and scallions.