1 inch piece kombu rinsed
1 shiitake soaked and sliced
1 carrot cut into chunks
1 burdock cut into chunks
1 cup daikon cut into chunks
1 cup winter squash cut into chunks
1 cup round cabbage thickly sliced
1 cup Chinese cabbage sliced
1 leek sliced
1 bunch watercress rinsed and sliced
1/2 block tofu sliced (can be deep fried first)
1 packet udon noodles lightly cooked
2 tablespoons brown rice or barley miso diluted in a little water
6-8 cups water
Fresh ginger for garnish
- Place the kombu, shiitake, and the round and root vegetables in a nabe pot. Place the ingredients in sections around the pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil on a medium flame.
- Simmer on a low flame for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the noodles, tofu, Chinese cabbage, leek and the rest of the water, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the diluted miso and watercress, and cook on a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Serve garnished with ginger.
- This should be like a hearty soup.
- Any veggies can be used in this dish but it is a good idea to include a combination of root, round, and leafy.