Home Made Sauerkraut
1 head round cabbage
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
- Rinse the cabbage.
- Finely shred the cabbage and place in a bowl.
- Add the sea salt and mix well. Keep mixing until the cabbage starts to get moist.
- Place a plate on top of the cabbage. Place a weight such as a jug of water on top of the plate.
- Leave the cabbage overnight.
- Remove the weight.
- Squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Push the cabbage into a clean jar. Make sure the cabbage is right to the top of the jar. You can add a piece of sourdough whole wheat bread to fill the space at the top.
- Screw the lid on tight. Leave in a cool dark place for at least 1-2 weeks.
- After opening, store in the fridge.
- Rinse if the taste is too salty.