Coffee Cashew Cream Cake
A sumptuious cake to enjoy with friends and hot tea on a cold winter afternoon.
Serves: 8-10 people
Utensils: Blender, mixing bowl, baking pan, strainer or sifter
1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/4 cups grain coffee powder
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup apple juice
1 cup rice milk
1 cup corn oil
1 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon orange rind
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 degrees.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Place the wet ingredients in a blender. Blend to a smooth cream.
- Gently whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a smooth batter.
- Fold in the chopped walnuts and orange rind.
- Pour into an oiled baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the cake shrinks away from the sides of the pan. Test the middle by inserting a fork or chopstick. If they come clean and dry, the cake is ready.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the pan.
- Decorate with cashew cream, oranges and toasted walnuts.